With the publication of ITIL 4, AXELOS introduced a new ITIL Certification Schema that match the series of ITIL 4 books. While all recent versions of ITIL have started with Foundation and ITIL 4 being no different, the similarities end there.
As depicted in the diagram above, ITIL 4 has a series of certifications which begin with Foundation. Once certified in ITIL Foundation, an individual can either complete the ITIL Managing Professional certification or the ITIL Strategic Leader. If both of these certifications are attained, the individual will have earned the ITIL Master Certification.
ITIL 4 Foundation is designed as an introduction to the service management best practices and covered the following.
ITIL 4 Foundation candidates will have an understanding of the following:
- A holistic approach to the facilitation of co-creation of value with customers and other stakeholders in the form of products and services
- The guiding principles of ITIL 4
- The Four Dimensions of Service Management
- Key concepts from Lean, Agile, DevOps, and why these are important to deliver business value
- How ITIL practices described in ITIL 4 will maintain the value and importance provided by the current ITIL processes, whilst at the same time expand to be integrated to different areas of service management and IT, from demand to value.
OwlPoint, through its partner ITSM Academy, provides multiple options for the ITIL 4 Foundation training and certification.
To take the ITIL Foundation exam, no prerequisite is required.
ITIL Foundation exam format
- Multiple choice examination questions
- 40 questions
- 26 marks required to pass (out of 40 available) – 65%
- 60 minutes’ duration
- Closed book
The ITIL 4 Managing Professional (MP) Certification is a stream of four modules that are part of ITIL 4.
ITIL 4 MP has been created for IT practitioners working within technology and digital teams across businesses.
To obtain the designation ITIL 4 Managing Professional, the candidate must complete all four modules. In order to completed the modules, each has its own curriculum, exam, and certificate.
The four modules of Managing Professional are:
- ITIL 4 Specialist Create, Deliver and Support
- ITIL 4 Specialist Drive Stakeholder Value
- ITIL 4 Specialist High-velocity IT
- ITIL 4 Strategist Direct, Plan and Improve.
If you are already an ITIL v3 Expert or have obtained 17 credits under the ITIL v3 scheme, AXELOS has provided a transition path to ITIL 4 Managing Professional Certification by taking the Managing Professional Transition Module.
ITIL 4 Strategic Leader (SL) is a stream of two modules that are part of ITIL 4.
ITIL 4 SL recognizes the value of ITIL, not just for IT operations, but for all digitally-enabled services. Becoming an ITIL 4 Strategic Leader demonstrates that the you have a clear understanding of how IT influences and directs business strategy.
The ITIL Master certification validates your ability to apply the principles, methods and techniques from ITIL in the workplace.
To achieve the ITIL Master certification, you must be able to explain and justify how you have personally selected and applied a range of knowledge, principles, methods and techniques from the ITIL Framework and supporting management techniques, to achieve desired business outcomes in one or more practical assignments.
Every ITIL Master candidate will select a different range of experiences that are personal to them, so there is no fixed syllabus for this qualification. There is also no prescribed training course since the theory being tested will vary depending on the nature of the situation each candidate will choose.
To be eligible for the ITIL Master certification, you must:
- have achieved the ITIL Expert certificate; and
- have worked in IT service management for at least five years in leadership, managerial, or higher management advisory levels.
In order to achieve your ITIL Master certificate, you must ensure you have extensive practical hands-on experience with ITIL and can demonstrate active involvement in implementation of the practices.
For more information on ITIL 4 or the related ITIL 4 Certifications, feel free to schedule an appointment with an OwlPoint ITIL 4 expert.